Tuesday, April 9, 2013

My Reflection on "On Compassion" by Barbara Lazear Ascher




"On Compassion", an essay explaining and examining the role that compassion plays in our life today states that "Compassion is not a character trait like a sunny disposition. It must be learned...". I completely agree with this statement. Being a third-culture kid, and basically growing up in Asia, I have had my fair share of witnessing poverty. It's not easy coming across people leading such simple lives, just to barley get by when you have more than enough, but I can defiantly say it has opened by eyes to a whole new world. 

As a kid I was unaware of why a man dressed in rags would be the asking for money, or sleeping in an isolated corner. As I started growing up, it was becoming clearer. Growing up is something everyone goes through whether we like it or not. As you start to grow up you begin thinking for yourself, coming up with ideas and theories, that might not even make sense, but hey it's a start. 

Another factor of growing up is deciding what kind of person you want to be, someone who is passive and takes only what they are offered, or someone that is active, desperate to make a change, and will fight for what they want. I learned to be an active compassionate person, I care about others and want and try to help those in need. I have given food as well as dropping money in the torn styrofoam cup, with barley anything in it, hearing only a faint clink from a previous coin as it hits the bottom. Hearing that faint clink, lights up the unfortunate man or women's face, and they say thank you. Walking away, I turn around and see people pass this poor person, and the only thing that comes to mind is Why don't they put some change in his cup, brighten his day, hoping to make the clink louder and louder? Now I guess it isn't in my place to go up to some random stranger and tell them to put their change in a homeless man or woman's cup, that would be kind of creepy. As long as I give something, I feel like I have made a difference, and made someone smile, which to me is one of the best feelings in the world. 

Compassion is an extremely powerful emotion, and can motivate us to do incredible things. In this essay with the example of compassion, such as giving money, or a free steaming cup of coffee and a pastry for breakfast, shows that people do care, and want to help, most of the time. 

What struck me, which is what I notice on the streets when people pass a homeless person, is "The others on the corner, five men and women waiting for the crosstown bus, look away." People don't want to see pain, poverty, or sorrow, which is why many people ignore a less fortunate person begging for money. In my opinion instead of looking away, and pretending not to notice, accept the fact that there are people struggling to get a decent nutritious meal, or a clean pair of clothes, and help them, even if it is only your spare change.

My step-grandpa Bob, is a news anchor, for religion and ethics channel in Washington D.C. He drove a navy blue dodge caravan, that a mouse lived in (ewww!), until my grandma made him sell it. During the period where he did in fact own his beloved van, he met a homeless man one day. 

Bob, being the very compassionate person that he is, saw a homeless man on the street as he was driving and decided to pull over to give him some money. Bob introduced himself, as he was pulling out a $50 bill, so the homeless man decided to introduce himself as well, his name was Poppy. As Bob was about to give him the bill, Poppy said he didn't want his money, Bob, confused then asked him what he did want, he responded with "A mattress would be nice so that I don't have to sleep on this hard pavement all night." As it turns out Bob, did in fact have a spare mattress and agreed to bring it to him later that night in his van (the mattress fit perfectly in the back by the way). As Bob was about to leave the mattress with Poppy, Poppy said that Bob would have to come at dawn to pick it up again so that the police didn't think that he had stolen it. Bob with enthusiasm agreed and early the next morning went to pick up the mattress. 

This routine prolonged for about a month. Bob gave Poppy his card incase he needed anything else, and Poppy started calling my Grandma's house, using a local pay phone, asking to speak to Bob, claiming Bob was his savior, my Grandma totally confused and being an over reactor as always, demanded to know who Poppy was. Bob explained and for some reason (which I am completely clueless too) it upset my Grandma, so Bob stopped interacting with Poppy. The next winter, Bob got a phone call from the local hospital informing him that he was Poppy's emergency contact number, and that Poppy had died of phenomena. There was nothing more Bob could do, he carried on with his life, and continues to give money to the homeless. 
Below is an article that I found really interesting on a homeless man who wins the lottery, click below to find out what he does with $50,000. 





4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the way that you included a picture and a quote. I thought the story that you included was touching and very emotional. It made me feel connected with your writing so you should be proud

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your story really emotional. Especially the last sentence gave me a surprise. I didn't know she would die so suddenly. Then your next sentence with Bob carrying on with his life made me feel like 'yep, that's reality'. I guess we stop for awhile for the those who need us, yet we can't really always dwell with them forever and as you said, life goes on. I also do agree that compassion is really strong but sometimes I believe that it's also one of the weakest traits humans possess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post Allie! You have so much voice when you write, really giving the reader a play-by-play of your experiences and how you feel -particularly with the sentence "Walking away, I turn around and see people pass this poor person, and the only thing that comes to mind is Why don't they put some change in his cup, brighten his day, hoping to make the clink louder and louder?" I thought that was so poignant! I also really enjoyed you getting more personal as you talked about Bob and how your themes by the end all tied back to the original essay. Great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great detail and lovely writing. Your story about Bob keeps us engaged in your writing.

    Good job!

    ReplyDelete