Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Persuasive Essay: What if school started at 9am or even 10am?



One of the hardest things as a teenager is waking up at basically dawn to be ready for school at 8am. I mean let alone the stress that school brings, you have to decide what to wear as well! Does this dress make me look fat? How should I tie up my hair? Should I bring a sweater? Do I wear sneakers or sandals? OMG! My shoes don't match my outfit! With all this in mind, you would have to wake up even earlier to make sure these "wardrobe malfunctions" don't occur (mostly for girls, but for some guys I guess as well). I mean come on people we generally are at school to learn not make a fashion statement. Even taking all this into consideration, call me crazy but I think that school should start no later than 8am. 

Now at this point, many people would disagree with me, everyone wants more sleep, but will starting school later really give students more sleep? Yes, it is scientifically proven that teenagers especially, need a ton of sleep (8-9 hours at least), to help our growth, and brain development, and blah blah blah, but going to sleep later, and waking up later, won't change that, if anything it will stay the same as if you were to wake up earlier. Many students think oh I can wake up later, thinking oh that means I can go to bed later to, which would in fact put you right back to where you started, just at later hours during the night and day. Generally we associate waking up later with "more time" in the morning to get ready, and "more time" to eat breakfast, but what we also must take into consideration is will students think that they can stay up even later now because they have "more time" to sleep? If so, there is absolutely no point is starting school later. 

Another little bonus point is waking up early during the week makes the weekend more of a treat, getting to sleep in late! Even though my mom won't let me sleep in past 10am because she thinks I am wasting the day, ugh parents.

Not only would school start later, but it would also end later, starting earlier means ending earlier. Starting school at 8am allows us to finish school at 3pm, now starting school at let's say 9am or 10am would mean finishing school at around 4pm or 5pm, which would practically leave no time for sports or any extra-ciricular activities. With school ending at 3pm it gives us as students better time management, to focus on school work, and participate in sports, or if sports aren't your thing, time to do  some other activity.

 Time management is one of the key's to life. Managing your time is a very hard skill to learn, but once you have it, you will never loose it, kind of like riding a bike. This skill will not be one of those things that you only learn in school, and think when will I ever have to use this in real life, like finding the cosine function of a graph, I don't think many people will end up doing that for a living. This prepares us as students for work situations in the real world, where time management will be essential. 

Students staying up late, and not giving themselves a fair amount of sleep, bring it upon themselves that they are so groggy in the morning. Sleep is essential if you want to live, but making school start later is NOT the answer to more sleep. I have never heard anyone dying of exhaustion from school, but there is a first for everything. 



http://www.sleepfoundation.org/article/sleep-topics/school-start-time-and-sleep 
http://debatewise.org/debates/1364-schools-should-start-later/

4 comments:

  1. Allie! I totally agree with you how school should be later. I mean as you said it gives us time to eat breakfast and all which is always a important meal. But I think ending school early would mean teachers cramming teaching lessons which we all hate. But yes! I totally agree with you that school should start later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Allie.
    First off, great job on including humor! It made your persuasive essay more enjoyable to read. :)
    I actually agree on just keeping school at starting at 8 AM. Although, I will say that starting school at 7:15 AM is not all that bad either. School finishes at 2:35 PM, so that means I get to go home earlier and have longer free time.
    Watch out for your grammar! "Even taking all this into consideration, call me crazy but I think that school should no later than 8am. "
    I think you're missing a word? That sentence sounds kind of awkward.
    But, despite that, your essay was really good and I enjoyed it!
    Great job, Allie! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah I just put it in, thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uhm... I don't know where my other comment went because I clearly did comment but ok, I'll just comment again. I really like how you state this topic up in your persuasive essay because I was one of the people who wanted school to starts later but after reading your essay! I think I'm quite convinced that school actually better to starts the same because I agree that its true that if school starts later, we would just stay up later. You use a lot of humor and I really liked it. I think it somehow enhances your particular voice and style in your essay! Really well done!

    ReplyDelete